A Simple Guide To Composing A Research Paper Methods Section
While your entire research paper is very important, one of the most crucial parts to get right is the methods section. This is the case because if your methods are unreliable or poorly documented, your entire study loses its credibility. And so do you as a scholar. Consequently, you really need to ensure that this section of your research paper is up to scratch. So, have a look at this simple guide to help you compose your research paper methods section correctly.
- Step 1: Carefully study the assignment brief
- Step 2: Learn what a methods section is all about
- Step 3: Plan your work
- Step 4: Compose your work
- A statement of your research objectives
- Your rationale for the approach you used
- A rationale and description of the data collection tools you used
- The sampling techniques you used
- A description of how you administered each data collection tool
- A description of your data sources or participants
- A discussion of the limitations of your work
- A rationale and description of the data analysis tools you used
- Step 5: Check your work
Before you start your work, you absolutely have to ensure that you study the assignment brief, as it will guide your work. There’s no point in putting a whole lot of effort into something if you’re not even going to bother to check that you’re doing the right thing. Pay specific attention to the formatting style required, as this may affect how you lay out your paper.
Another thing that you need to do before you start composing your research paper is to make sure you actually know what a methods section is. Basically, it’s a chapter that describes the whole process of your research, and how you carried it out.
Now, you can start planning how you intend to compose the methods section of your research paper. First, you should compose an outline for it, using the information provided in the next step. This will guide you as you compose the segment. Second, you should collect all the relevant information and arrange it in the correct order.
Finally, it’s time to actually compose this segment of your work. There are certain things that are required in a methods section, so make sure you include all of them. The required information includes:
The last thing you need to do is proofread your work. Make sure that there are no small errors, like typos. And also check that you haven’t left out any of the information that’s required.